Employee Giving Programs: The Key to Helping YOUR donation go further!12/19/2019 by Rebecca Toews
Guest Blog post by Laura Holland
Employee giving programs offer an exciting opportunity to nonprofit organizations like Bridging. Each donation you make could be doubled, tripled, or more, and every hour you volunteer could come with a monetary contribution as well.
Bridging has implemented a great “Double your Donation” feature on our website, which helps you know whether YOUR employer has a match program. Have fun with it, you can even use it as a tool to request some creative programs of your own!
Corporate giving programs have gotten more popular with time. More than 65% of Fortune 500 companies offer matching gift or volunteer grant programs, and countless smaller companies have followed suit.
Some companies have gotten creative with their corporate giving, offering higher matches to organizations in a specific sector (educational, cultural, environmental, etc.) or even matching funds raised by employees in peer-to-peer campaigns (THINK BEDRACE!)
A Little History! What are corporate matching gift and employee volunteer grant programs?
Employee giving programs have been around since 1954, when the GE Foundation created the Corporate Alumni Program, the first corporate matching gift program. Since then, thousands of companies have created similar employee giving programs.
The most common match ratio is 1:1, meaning that the company will donate the exact same amount as the employee did. Each company will set a dollar amount that they will contribute in matching gifts per employee each year. Employees can then make as many matching gift requests as they like until they hit that maximum dollar amount.
Volunteer grant programs, also known as “Dollars for Doers” programs, are charitable giving programs setup by companies to provide a monetary donation to eligible nonprofits where their employees volunteer as a way to encourage community engagement.
If you volunteer for a nonprofit organization like Bridging and work for a company with a volunteer grant program, you can request a volunteer grant from your employer to increase your impact on our mission!
These volunteer grants can be set amounts ($750 for 50 hours volunteered) or hourly amounts ($10 per hour volunteered).
Others use “volunteer grants” which are similar to employee match gifts (donations offered by companies to nonprofits that their employees have already supported.) Volunteer grants are monetary contributions made by a company to a nonprofit that their employees have volunteered for.
A few examples of some programs businesses and organizations have implemented to benefit Bridging:
- 3M provides $500 grants for 25 volunteer hours and matches up to $10,000 annually
- Medtronic provides $500 grants to nonprofits where an employee has volunteered for 25 hours. They also match up to $5,000 annually for current employees or retirees.
- Xcel Energy matches up to $2,000 to higher education institutions and $750 to other nonprofits per employee each year. In addition, Xcel donates $10 for every hour an individual employee volunteers, and $500 when teams of 6 or more Xcel Energy employees participate in a community volunteer project!
You can help your gift or your volunteer hours go even further by searching for your own match-eligibility. Immediately gain access to detailed information about your employer’s corporate giving programs and assess your eligibility by scrolling down to the bottom of our Donate page and search for companies that offer employee matching.
Double your Donation will provide you with the following:
- Up-to-date, company-specific program guidelines
- Minimum volunteer hours required to qualify for a matching donation
- Links to the online matching gift request forms or downloadable PDFs offered by your employer
Bridging will provide the rest: Our contact information (Tax ID, address, fundraising contact), which you may need for your matching gift request.
- Donate to Bridging
- We hope you’ll take a few extra minutes to see if your company offers employee giving grants — grants that could equal hundreds, or even thousands, of dollars to help us FURNISH HOMES WITH HOPE!
- Bridging has received top honors from all major charity accountability evaluators. Learn More–>