Winter Needs: Donate Your Stuff!12/20/2019 by Rebecca Toews
DON’T LET THE WINTER MONTHS STOP YOU!
The chill of the winter months can be difficult for all of us. But, the demand for furniture and household goods for those transitioning out of homelessness and poverty stays the same year-round. As we say “hello” to 2020, we are preparing to serve more than 100 households a week– that’s an average of 300 people who need the basic home essentials to start fresh and settle in their new home. This means we need more than 55,000 cubic feet, 15 semi-loads, of donated inventory each week!
As many Minnesotans can attest to, it’s easy to stay indoors and feel less motivated to bring donations to local non-profits during the winter months. Curling up with a good book on the couch, sleeping in on a snowy weekend or enjoying cup of cocoa is awfully enticing during the long winter months. BUT, consider not having the couch, a bed or cup for a hot beverage…those items would be missed pretty fast. On top of that, what if you only had an annual household income of $20,000 a year? How do you acquire these items? Pay for heat and secure stable housing? These are only some of the challenges clients face as they access services at Bridging.
BE INSPIRED AND BE THE BRIDGING CHAMPION THIS WINTER!
Bridging sees a significant drop in donations from our residential donors during the winter months. Bridging needs your help to FURNISH HOMES WITH HOPE! Don’t wait until Spring to tackle the clutter and clear out those closets and basement. So, get involved today by checking off a few items from this list;
- Dedicate time once a month to clean out one area on the DONATE YOUR STUFF list – linens, kitchen essentials, lamps/small appliances, furniture, etc.
- Post a reminder note about Bridging’s needs in your school, church or workplace bulletin or newsletter! Cut and paste quick content – contact our team to get copy. (below)
- Invite Bridging to a meeting or speaking engagement to share our story – Whether it’s 5 minutes, 15 minutes or 1 hour, we’d be happy to fill that time and make new friends.
- Take a Bridging 101 Tour in Bloomington or Roseville to see firsthand what items we need and see the mission in action. Check out upcoming dates.
- Share a message on social media with all in your network; Facebook, Twitter , Instagram and LinkedIn
GIVE THE GIFT OF HOPE BY DONATING YOUR STUFF
“Mere words can’t express how much the things we received from Bridging were appreciated, and most of all needed. My family and I would like to extend our sincere thanks for everything we received to turn our house into a ‘home.’ We truly, truly thank you.”
READY TO GET INSPIRED AND CONNECT OTHERS TO BRIDGING?
Contact the Community Relations Manager to learn more about how you can spread the word about our needs in your community, neighborhood and workplace:
Diana Dalsin, Community Relations Manager
Additional Reading to Get Inspired:
- Declutter Now: Check out these inspirational books – The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo and The Joy of Less by Francine Jay. Both books bring clarity to cleaning up and clearing out.
- Give it UP: Finding the Joy in Downsizing
- “Why Spring cleaning should totally happen in the winter” – 5 reasons to clean and motivate in the winter