How do I get a receipt for donating items?11/28/2017 by Diana Dalsin
HOW DONATION RECEIPTS WORK?
Bridging is a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization. Donors may claim a tax deduction for items donated to Bridging.
When and where can I get a donation receipt?
- Download a Bridging Item Donation Receipt
- General receipts are available at Bridging’s warehouse dock doors and in the front office.
- Bridging does not provide values ($) for donations it receives. The IRS requires that the donor estimate the fair market value of donated items. For reference in determining value and additional information visit www.irs.gov or contact your tax advisor.
If the value of the donated items is less than $250; the donor can fill out the general donation on the paper receipt and use it for their tax records.
If a single donated item is valued at more than $250 OR if all donated items together are valued at more than $500;
- The IRS requires a donor to obtain a written acknowledgement from Bridging
- To obtain this acknowledgement, the donor must email the request to RECEIPT@BRIDGING.ORG.
- The request must include; donor name, address, email address, the date of the donation, and a description of the items donated.
- Bridging will provide a statement, via email back to the donor that acknowledges the donated item(s), not the value. Letters take up to 7 business days to process.
Questions? Please contact Myra Van Delist, Business Services Manager.